Voldemort can no longer sneak up on me (and other silver linings)

Having a mastectomy is a big fucking deal. Obviously. But I'm a look for the silver linings no matter how ludicrous kinda person (a talent I learned from my husband, Storm), so today I set myself a challenge to find them all.

I can lean over to turn the bath taps on without my left breast brushing the cold bath edge, an experience I never learned to love.

I can casually rest against the left side of the sofa without squishing myself uncomfortably against it.

If I want to hug a soft toy (I know I'm not the only middle age person out there who just needs to cuddle a stuffed toy sometimes!), I have a built in shelf it can rest on. See?


(Apparently my look on this blog is PJs and zero makeup?)

My Hell Bunny coat fits better! Turns out having extra space on one side is a fantastic way to beat the dreaded gape. This has fantastic implications for future clothes shopping. Cute shirts are back in vogue (I'd long resigned myself to my huge bra size being incompatible with most cute shirts.)

Talking of clothes, having a gap on one side causes all my necklines to drop about two inches - instant sexy necklines all round.

My favourite cross body bag, that never quite fit because it has a short strap and that short strap had to stretch over a lot of boobage, now fits perfectly. And it's just the right height to rest my arm on if it starts aching.

I currently have a seroma (fluid build up) above my scar, which means right now the left half of my chest looks like I've spent hours in the gym. I joked that I was going to tell the surgeon I wanted a chest like Chris Hemsworth. I didn't realise my dream would actually come true!

I can look in the mirror and pretend I'm an awesome warrior goddess with a mysterious and courageous back story (this invariably involves dragons, magic, and ancient rituals).

Last, but by no means least, Voldemort can no longer sneak up on me. As soon as I feel a burning sensation in my scar, I know he's near.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I wish someone had said this to me before my mastectomy

You don’t know till you know

Happy First Asymmetric Week!